Monday, January 31, 2011

A New Year




Our new year has been full of new activities....and a few old ones.

School work had been suffering during the last month or so of 2010 (we had a lot on our plate) . So....we made school our #1 priority this month, and got a lot done. They moved forward in their math books at a staggering pace. And we read all of 'Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry'.
This was a part of our History curriculum. We just happened to finish it on Martin Luther King Day, which was very fitting as the book is all about a black family living in the 1930's, and how the end of Slavery hadn't translated into true freedom for them, even decades and generations later.. It chronicles their heart breaking struggles, and all the injustice. Having everything fair is a major theme of our kids lives right now. They were really moved by the story.

We are still finishing up our study of World War I. We will begin World War II soon. Elisabeth has been doing an online Chemistry course and had made a lot of progress there as well.
Sarah started reading The Box Car Children. She's doing a great job on it. She's also adding and subtracting 3 digit numbers with borrowing and carrying. And Nicholas is working on reading and spelling words with the long a sound and a silent e. Just imagine what he'll learn in Kindergarten next year. ;)


Don't worry! We had some fun too. One Friday we went to the Home School Skate. They have it every month but this is the first time we've been all year.



Notice the hat Sarah is wearing. She made that herself on a Knifty Knitter Loom.
Here's the one I made for Adam. I also made a matching one for Nicholas. It takes next to no time at all. So easy and fun. I am also working on knitting a hat for myself. But I'm using actual knitting needles for this one (Thanks Lisa). It's going to take significantly longer...but it's going to look nice.


The girls auditioned for 'Alice in Wonderland'. A musical production for kids at the Alliance for the Arts in Fort Myers. It's the Creative Theater Workshop that is putting it on. The girls both got in and had their first rehearsal yesterday. We can already tell they're going to have a great time, and put on a great show.


Elisabeth has grown up and changed so much lately that we needed a new head shot to go with her resume. I took this right before we left to go skating. I think it turned out pretty well. She is also playing the lead role in a play that one of the Teen homeschool groups is doing. She will be playing Dorothy in 'The Wizard of Oz'.


If anyone wants to know how to put together a child's resume. Here's a link to Elisabeth's. Of coarse it is already in need of updating.

Well, I have a bit more I wanted to post....but blogger is giving me a really hard time with photo's and video's right now...I've been trying on and off for 2 weeks..so I'll update more later. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment