I planned for the kids to do 'half' school over the summer to make up for missed days during our busy school year...unfortunately we've been having too much fun to get any math done...there's been some reading...and we've learned a lot from having our Exchange Student (I'll post more about her after the 3 week adventure is over). But we haven't accomplished all that we needed to. So I've decided that we've got to start Real School a few weeks early. So we will begin on August 2nd instead of the 23rd .
I just spent the last few hours coming up with their schedules. I decided that instead of mapping out their day in time slots (which we never stick to for long), I wanted to give them a check list. They can do it in whatever order suits them....as long as they complete everything. There are a few things that need to happen at a certain time but most of it is free for them to choose. After they've checked a few things off they can take a break to jump on the trampoline for a few minutes or some other free time activity. But they must finish their list before they can play computers or watch movies. I'll let you know how it works out after we've done it for a few weeks.



Nicholas Doesn't have a checklist. But that doesn't mean he isn't learning. Nick is learning to read. He just started an online reading program call HeadSprout. You can click on the link for more info. Sarah used it, and loved it! Nick has been waiting 'till he was old enough, and he is now loving it too. And it really works! He also learns tons about math and science just in his every day life...mostly from Sarah =)
Also, Elisabeth is going to start taking real Voice Lessons this year. We found a teacher and a method that we're really excited about. She has an audition with the teacher tomorrow. If all goes well this is where she'll be training her voice.
Adam and Sarah are planning to Audition to be in the Symphony Youth Chorus that Elisabeth has been in for the last few years. We'll let you know how that goes.
Instead of teaching a Chorus and Ballet class for our Homeschool Group. I've decided to direct a Christmas Play. We will be doing that on Monday afternoons. We're really excited about that! It's 'A Christmas Carol' and the script looks like a lot of fun. Check out the link.
For anyone who's interested, this is our curriculum choices for this year. The links will take you to more info:
Sonlight Core 4 History and Literature (Sarah will be reading books from core 2)
Fix it! Grammar (for Adam)
Analytical Grammar (for Elisabeth)
Phonetic Zoo spelling (for Adam and Libby)
Free Online Spelling Worksheets. (for Sarah)
Dance Mat Typing (free online)
Wordly Wise Vocabulary (all grades free online)
Plato Online Chemistry. (for Elisabeth)
Piano for Life We are going to give this a try this year. I'll let you know how it goes.
Everything else we learn from books at the Library or documentaries or just searching online.
That's just about everything I think. I'm excited to begin our new school year in just a little over a week. Lot's of work! But, also lot's of fun. =)




No comments:
Post a Comment